1950 – A regional airport is constructed on the site of the present airport.
1967 – CP Airlines begins jet service to the Castlegar Airport.
1971 – The current terminal is built.
1978 – The terminal is expanded.
1997 – The airport is transferred from Transport Canada to City ownership under terms of the National Airport Policy.
2005 – Selkirk College constructs the Aviation Training Centre to support its Aviation – Professional Pilot Program.
2009 – $1 million is spent to install six night time visual beacons to permit night time flights (currently emergency/medical flights only)
2009 – The Airport is renamed to West Kootenay Regional Airport in an ongoing effort to enhance air services to the West Kootenay.
2010 – Air-tanker-base improvements are completed, including a larger apron and other improvements that allow for the refilling of two air tankers simultaneously, to enhance forest fire fighting capability.